Are lemon peels safe?

Are dried lemon peels safe as flea deterrent around cats' areas? Is water from boiled/steeped lemon slices safe to spray on cats' fur as flea deterrent? Also, is it safe to spray this lemon water on the carpet, floor and furniture where cats congregate? On their bedding? There are so many conflicting 'answers' out there in the 'natural remedy' world that I'm totally uncertain if I've done the right thing. Please help if you can. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide. If the whole 'lemon' thing is NOT a proper solution, please tell me latest 2013 answer to the flea deterrent question for cats! Again, THANK YOU! Will check back constantly, with hope springing eternal!

Asked by Member 1176917 on Jun 24th 2013 Tagged lemons, fleas, peels, lemonwater in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

Yes, I have heard of people that do the lemons boiled in water to spray on the cat, I'm not sure of hte exact concoction, but lemons, rosemary, and some sort of essential oils, you can make a spray to use. People use this sort of spray on their horses too. I'm sure you could look online and find a safe recipe on exactly how to make this. I am all for all natural ways of dealing with fleas. I live in a bad area for fleas and ticks, so we have to use Advantage or Frontline, but if not, I would not hesitate to try an all natural home made spray first. Good luck.