Spazz

Are flea collars bad for cats and humans?

When I took my cat to the SPCA to get fixed,they took off his collar and said that flea collars were bad for cats,dogs,and humans.Is that true? And if it isn't,are they ok for flea control of a house cat.

Asked by Spazz on Sep 1st 2010 Tagged fleacollars in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

More than "bad", they're simply ineffective. A vet tech once told me they only kill the fleas under the collar and that's by suffocation ;-) A much more effective way of controlling fleas is by vet prescribed Frontline or some other vet approved drops for flea control used monthly, applied between the shoulder blades.

Gumpy Sweet Boy

The over-the-counter flea products are not only ineffective, but they can be toxic. Dr. Barchas, the Catster/Dogster vet blogger, has written some posts about these products being potentially toxic to cats and dogs - which I believe includes flea collars. I wouldn't use any of the over-the-counter flea products. You should use a flea control product you get from your vet (there are a couple good ones). You can search for posts about this on the vet blog on this site, and/or google for more info.

Gumpy Sweet Boy answered on 9/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the other posters. Flea collars contain pesticide that is harmful to pets and humans and they do very little to actually eliminate the problem. I just wanted to add that the vet approved products like Frontline & Advantage that the others mentioned are also avialable online and at places like Petsmart & Agway. So if you didn't want to make a trip to the vet or pay their prices for the products, you can still get them. They are still pricier than a collar but they WORK and they are safer. Be sure to read the weight that the product is for and make sure you get the right one for Spazz's size. Just stay away from anything that comes from companies like Hartz & Seargent. That stuff is toxic.