are domestic shorthair cats good as a first pet to have?

Asked by Member 647040 on Jun 29th 2008 in Domestic Shorthair

Answers

I gather from both of your posts that you are thinking of adding a feline member to your family. Have you considered adopting a homeless cat or kitten from a shelter? You may be able to get a mix of the breed you want. Before picking a breed, you need to think of your own situation. Some cat breeds are known to be loners, some to be clingy, some to be vocal and some to be quiet. Some breeds are known to get along with other cats and some with dogs and some are loners. Decide what type of cat you want or need for your circumstances and then do research on breeds. You can go to the Cat Fancier's Association website where all breeds are listed with their characteristics. Domestic Shorthair is just a description of the type of fur a cat has, not a breed. If you don't want a lot of brushing, matting and shedding, stick with the short-haired cats. But, any reputable animal rescue or shelter can match you with a kitty that will fit your lifestyle. Good luck!

Oscar J. is a DSH (which is basically cat-ese for MUTT) and he's my first cat. He's been terrific. Very social. Gets along great with my dogs (with some socialization on both sides).

He was a homeless kitty that we took in. Rescues in my opinion are always best! :D

Willow aka Wilomena Catbeast -

My dad thinks Domestic Shorthairs (aka Moggies) are THE only cats to have - they are renowned for being friendly, easy going and have less health problems than pure-breds, generally. Both mum and dad have had DSH's that have lived a feral or stray like life and have got over it once they adopted their humans, but the best thing to do is check out the local cat rescue places. I was from a random litter, bypassed the rescue system because we were from the humans friends, and have been spoilt since I was a kitten, but a lot of unplanned kittens (and abandoned/mistreated adult cats) are not as lucky as I was and deserve a chance.
Good luck with finding the purrfect kitty. Dont forget - all we are saying is.. give puss a chance!
Luv Wills and Al x

Willow aka Wilomena Catbeast - answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer