Bijou (French for Jewel)

Anyone know how to clean the white dirty-looking residue from clumping kitty litter off of plastic carriers or plastic c

Specifically, I use Scoop Away and Tidy Cat.

I've got to wonder, if it's that hard to clean, what's it doing to the kitty's insides???

Asked by Bijou (French for Jewel) on Jun 4th 2013 Tagged litter, carrier, kittylitter, catlitter in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Unless the cat actually eats the litter, it shouldn't hurt her. A cat may ingest a tiny amount while grooming, but you can help by keeping her brushed to keep the litter sticking to her fur to a minimum. I try to completely empty and scrub my boxes once a week. I use a regular household cleaner like Mr. Clean, hot water and a "scrubbie" pad and thoroughly scrub and rinse the boxes, dry them and put in new litter. I vacuum around the boxes and use the rug scrubber if necessary. I also scoop at least once a day which keeps the contents from sticking too badly to the box. I use a metal scoop because it doesn't bend like the plastic ones and makes scraping the bottom and sides of the boxes easier. You can also use a paint scraper. I replace my boxes twice a year as they get scratched and worn and that makes cleaning them more difficult. Unless your cat is using a carrier as a litter box, a simply hosing out and leaving them outdoors to dry should do the trick.