Any way to get a rough idea of how big my kitten will get?

The vet says he's a maine coon mix if this helps.

Asked by Member 1007426 on Oct 11th 2010 in Kittens

Answers

So is Izzie, and when I asked his vet this, she said "As big as he wants to get." You can help his growth (but not really alter his genetics) by making sure he has as good a diet as you can afford, regular vet care, get him neutered, play with him and just generally take as good a care of him as you can. My vet said that cats with "thick" legs usually get to be around 12-15 pounds or so, and Izzie is about 20 (he has real piano legs). But some cats just have big feet/legs. I've heard tha MC's grow for 5 years and have noticed lately that Izzie seems bigger. It's really a mystery as to how big any mixed breed cat will get.

Harvard

I agree with Izzie. You really only have a rough idea of how big a kitten is going to get when it's six months or so (at least in the case of Maine Coons), and Maine Coons take a long time to attain their full growth and fluffiness. Females tend to be smaller than males, and there's a definite variety in sizes even among females/males. For some reason, Leila's last litter produced cats so small that they are practically miniature Maine Coons. Chibi produced four enormous cats a year ago; the 17-pounder is my biggest cat. Regarding "Maine Coon mix"--the Maine Coon is a naturally occurring breed that was then recognized as a distinct breed. Any naturally occurring MC is by definition a mix, because cats don't look at pedigrees when they mate! "Purebred" Maine Coons are derived from naturally occurring MCs, and are mated with other "purebreds." Usually these purebreds don't then mate with the general cat population. BTW, vets don't always know a lot about breeds. Enjoy!

Harvard answered on 10/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

gracie tatanka

there really is no way to tell gracie was very small for her age and really only started to catch up with the ordinary local cats in size when she was six months it was only then she decided to put on the growth spurt! lol. when i saw how big she could get i was floored thinking how the hell im i going to afford to feed her! but even though shes over 15 an a half lbs which is fairly average to big for a girl shes still not even 2 yet so who knows what size she will finish up. food wise she only has a saucer of dry and one sachet of wet a day and doesnt always even finish that so she still has a very small appetite despite her size all i will recomend to you is if you already have a bad back you should consider buying a good back support because if your baby does get big your going to need it!! but that said your in for a wonderful time ive had cats all my life but coons really are something special. enjoy every minute.

gracie tatanka answered on 10/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Smokey

Hello-
I am a 12 yr old Ragdoll(23lbs)and live with a 7 yr old Maine Coon (18lbs).
Weight is not as important as you might think-My MC is slightly taller at the shoulder than me,he is also longer,both with and without his gorgeous plume of a tail-I go by whiskers-it has been my experience that kittens with abnormally long whiskers grow into them-also bone structure and head and ear size.
Look at the whole litter-anyone seem bigger boned?bigger head?bigger ears?If you want a big cat,grab that one!
BUT
if the whole litter is from smaller sized parents you may be chasing your tail.
You want big?
Get a Ragdoll or a Maine Coon-these are said to be the largest breeds there are and I have seen cats over 30 lbs from both breeds.
Just be ready for daily brushing,ok?
GOOD LUCK!

Smokey answered on 7/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This may seem odd, but over many years of having cats, I've noticed that a large intestinal tract seems to be a good indicator of the size they will attain. In kittens you may notice their "droppings" seem to be large for their current size. This has helped me to gauge the size at maturity, when dealing with kittens of unknown parentage

Simon

how i know how big a cat will get is how big their paws are if theyve got big paws theyll be a big cat if they have small paws theyll be small hope this helps

Simon answered on 11/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rosalyn Sapphire (In Memory)

My owners have a Maine Coon mix that is about 3 years old and she is just over 10 pounds but used to be much, much bigger. She has lost a lot of weight since they got her, but she was overweight before. Vet says she's at a good weight right now. She looks a LOT bigger than 10lbs though due to her fluffiness.

Rosalyn Sapphire (In Memory) answered on 6/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer