Fiona

Any tips on flying with a cat on an airplane in cabin?

Best cat carrier durable for trying to scratch and escape? I was looking at the Sherpa Delta carrier. Calming sprays/treats? (No I will not sedate her)
Airport security? I was thinking of asking for a private room screening? Any suggestions?

Asked by Fiona on Feb 21st 2014 in Travel & Recreation

Answers

Hi, not sure when you wrote this question b/c there is not date.

The best carrier in the world is this: go to www.frontgate.com and click on 'Pets' then click on "Car and Travel" then look for the Rio Pet Carrier. Its black or black and white spotted, on wheels with telescoping handle. This thing is not cheap but is the very BEST carrier I have ever had. You would have to check with the company & the airline to see if its airline approved, but it is amazingly well made, like expensive luggage. Up to about a 16 # animal fits well.

In addition, the best calming agent I have EVERY found is Feliway Comfort Zone spray ( www.drsfosterandsmith.com ) Drs. Foster and Smith pet catalogue on line.

Hope this helps.

We like Sherpa- it was created by a flight attendant and every major airline accepts them. I also like the Whisker City (PSmart) calming spray for the carrier- douse it before the cat goes in, and feed calming treats (if she'll eat them). Airport workers are not going to accommodate you with a special room, they use those for criminals. Tell the people in your row, the row in front and behind you on the plane that you have a cat under the seat, because very allergic people will want to change their seat once informed. Happy travels ^_^