Cappuccino

Any quality wet food recommendations for a cat with a sensitive stomach?

I adopted my cat a month ago and am looking to transition her into a completely grain-free diet. Her previous owner fed her only science diet dry food and gave her wet food 1x a week.
I began phasing out the science diet dry food with the taste of the wild and I began introducing wet food, slowly. I feed my cat trader joe's wet food, but noticed that she can only handle the ocean fish flavor. With chicken and turkey she gets mushy poop, which is a nightmare to clean because she is a Birman with a furry coat. I had to give her a bath everyday before I figured our which food was causing her an upset stomach.
I want to transition her to a higher quality wet food, but am concerned that she will get mushy poo again. Does anyone have any recommendations on quality wet food for a cat that doesn't do well with chicken or turkey wet food (specifically trader joe's)?

Asked by Cappuccino on Jan 23rd 2013 Tagged food in Pet Food

Answers

Hello! My cat had the same problem with mushy poo. I only feed her grain free Wellness canned food which comes in a variety of flavors. I would NEVER feed my cat Science Diet, as my former cat passed away five years ago after eating Science Diet (you may remember the major pet food recall that killed many cats and dogs). My cat's only visits to the vet now are for her yearly exam - and not for mushy poo poo! Just remember to switch her food gradually. Best of luck.

Koda

Good for you for switching her diet! It can be hard to find the food that is right for your kitty, especially if they have picky tummies. It may not be chicken or turkey that makes her poopoo mushy, but something else. It could be some really strange small ingredient making her like that and too much fish for kitties is bad. Wellness core canned is a great choice. Try one brand for a few days and see how it goes. Some brands, I forgot which one, have combo fish and chicken so maybe starting with those would help too. Good luck!

Koda answered on 1/24/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer