any otc products for cold symtoms that willhelp temp.

my vet is out for holiday for 2 more days. cats have runny eyes noses &breathing through mouth need some relief until vet is back thanks

Asked by Member 716435 on Dec 27th 2009 Tagged coldsymtomsupperrespiratory in Alternative Treatments

Answers

Sadie/ In loving memory

I don't think there is anything OTC maybe some other poster will know. Why don't you take your cat to another vet? It sounds like your kitty is having a hard time breathing. Good luck and I hope your kitty feels better.

Sadie/ In loving memory answered on 12/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Never give an OTC medicine to a cat without your vet's permission. Is there a veterinary ER that you can go to, or another vet? Feline "colds" are not the same as human colds. Running a temperature and breathing through the mouth are not good signs. Try to find a vet.

Chibi answered on 12/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

To echo Chibi, absolutely do NOT give your cat anything OTC. There are no OTC animal "cold" medicines and giving him a human medicine, even a vitamin supplement could kill him. Most vets will leave a number on their answering machine to call when they go on holiday. If yours has not, go to another vet. Explain to them that yours in not in the office, you have a sick cat and you need medical care for him. I don't know of any vet who would refuse to see you with a sick cat.

I agree with all of the above posters. There is nothing OTC for a kitty cold. If you can not get to another vet, then until you can, bring the cats into the bathroom and run the shower hot to steam up the room for a bit a couple of times a day. This will help them breathe. If you have a humidified or a vaporizer you can run it near where the cats sleep. (just water...no chemicals that you would put in them for a human cold) And be sure they are eating ok. When they can't smell, they often will not eat. You may need to buy a strong smelling canned food to get them to eat.

Cold symtoms can be from stress and contagious. I adopted Toby and learned of his "Calicky" virus he will have forever. So I maintain him with "apple cider vinegar". Type in how to give apple cider vinegar to a cat. You will see many testimonies. It helps with digestion, too. All 4 kitties get it as "water gravy". My girl won't drink water so she gets "gravy" at every meal. It took about a month till I tweaked it just right and got results. For me it is about a quarter spoon to a glass of water. This is a miracle the vet didn't know. I save my money now.
PS I was using 4 milligram over the counter "Allergy" pill every 12 hours of Chlorphinenaramine/Antihistamine the Foster Cat Lady spoke of. I will use this when
Toby flares up, and I nip it in the bud at the first sign. And he flares up less as he is maintained on the apple cider vinegar recipe above. Please get the 'mother' in the vinegar that is organic. This will matter. It took me 3 yrs to figure it out. Less vomiting, too!