Bailey

Any ideas on how to teach a kitten not to scratch the couch?

My little Bailey has taken to scratching our couch. I've tried distracting and scolding him when he does it, but he doesn't seem to dissuaded. I also take him to his scratching post (which has cat nip in it) when he does it, but he just seems to reject the post... and now I'm out of ideas.

Asked by Bailey on Sep 21st 2007 in Scratching

Best Answer

Icebox (Rainbow Bridge)

Super soaker squirt guns. Get several that will shoot a stream across the room to across a few rooms and place several around house.

The purpose of the long stream is so Bailey will not have a clue you did it. He needs to think that God or something did it. There is not a more confused cat when he gets watered and he has not a clue where it came from or what/who did it.

It will not take Bailey long to know it is you with a small squirt gun and he will learn to be on his best behavior only when you are in the room.

Icebox (Rainbow Bridge) answered on Sep 21st.

Answers

Angel Socks

You could try Citronella oil. Or you could put bubble wrap on the part Bailey likes to scratch - they hate the sensation. OR there is a sticky double-sided tape you could use (only on fabric couches tho)but my Birman quickly found the end of the tape and peeled it off the couch ;-)

I eventually gave up and had a lounge-suite that looked like it belonged in a dumpster. Now we have a leather suite and it is developing a very 'distressed' look.

Good luck!!

Regards,

Angel, Chang and Jasmin's mommy

Angel Socks answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mia

If you had the scratching post before you got Bailey...chances are your other kitties have claimed that post as THEIRS and said Paws Off to Bailey. I had the same problem when I came home. Dusty didnt want me to use his post. Daddy brought home a new Scratching Post just after I came home. Dusty had no qualms over me using that one. Also Meowmy finds that having multiple scratching posts in the house set up in multiple areas helps. When they were all in the same room, when I just wanted to get my scratch on in another room but there had been nothing but furniture to scratch! Now she has 2 scratching spots and we have 3 scratchers...3 cats. The numbers all match up. A Diff kind might help too. Some of us like flat kinds, some of us like to stand up to scratch. And me...I like to lay on my back upsdie down and scratch the inside of the scratch tube!

Mia answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Aden

You can walk into my house & see that Aden's taken to our couch too. We bought the scraching post a little late so the alternatives we have are:

Softpaws!!!
Buying a little squirting gun with water to REALLY surprise him! (we bought a bag of them, about 1/2 a dozen per bag, for around $1!)

Aden answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Callie Jean *Has a New Home

Cats have to feel like they can get their claws into something. If they can't, they won't use that object as a scratching post. PJ and I had Softpaws for about a year. We couldn't put our claws into the sofa and other furniture, but we could still get them into the sisel rope scratching posts. Now we just use our scratching posts (sisel and cardboard), but there is a squirt bottle of water handy just in case. Finally, get the sofa cleaned and put something on it the repel cats. Bailey has probably marked it as his by scratching and rubbing his chin against it. Until you remove his scent and/or change how the sofa smells to him, he will continue to claim the sofa as his.

Callie Jean *Has a New Home answered on 9/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer