Any explanation for cat unable to eat / drink, has not gone in the litter box and is vomiting?

My siamese cat has been lethargic, unable to eat / drink, has not gone in the litter box and is vomiting every few hours for the past 4 days. Vomit has become a yellow mucous. I took her to the vet yesterday for dehydration help and bloodwork but nothing has been determined yet. I am very concerned and can't stand watching my pet get worse. Has anyone seen or dealt with these symptoms for their cat?

Asked by Member 957961 on Feb 5th 2010 Tagged cat, vomit in Health & Wellness

Answers

When my cat presented with the continued vomiting - it was a mystery as well - the vet said it could be viral or something he ingested. Sedated him and took an x-ray and checked the tongue and throat for obstructions, took blood and urine, hydrated him and sent me home with anti-nausea medication. But she did mention pancreatitis - apparently this is the normal presentation - an ultrasound is the only way to rule it out - my cat's vomiting went away on its own after a few days. Just stick with the vet and see what happens. One note - my cat was still eating and urinating - just vomiting for 10 days. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Freckles (1993-2011)

Vomiting on its own is not necessarily serious but the rest are all things to be really worried about including infections, urinary or inestinal blockages, poisoning etc. In addition to this not eating or drinking for 4 days mean your cat is very dehydrated and at risk of additional liver/kidney issues. The yellow mucous could be from bile which can be a sign of pancreatitis like the other poster mentioned. Not going to the litter box could just be from dehydration/no food for several days but could also be the sign of a blockage. The vet should be able tell from a physical exam if that seems to be an issue and hopefully the fuids will help rehydrate her enough so she'll be able to pee.

Getting the fluids was a good start and hopefully your vet has the test results by now and can figure out the right treatment. Whatever the vet thinks the cause is make sure to ask about assisted feeding as not eating can cause secondary liver issues which can be serious.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 2/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer