All of a sudden my cat has started to randomly come up and bite me, how can I stop this?

While playing with my nephew my cat has started coming up and biting me very hard. Like I have to pull him off me. It has happened three times where he has snuck up on me while I was playing with my nephew. This has never happened before and I'm not sure what to do.

Asked by Member 1149860 on Jan 13th 2013 Tagged bite, aggression in Aggression

Answers

If your cat's not neutered, have this done first. Intact cats are more excitable and territorial than neutered/spayed ones. If the playtimes with your nephew are loud and active, your cat could be getting too overexcited and reacting the only way he knows how. He might also think that one of you is being hurt and be defending you. When you know that something you do will set your cat off and cause him to bite, try not to do it. Delilah will bite when I touch her neck/chest/stomach. I know she'll do it, so I don't pet her there. If your cat is actually stalking and attacking you, keep a spray bottle handy and spray over his head while saying "NO!" You can also keep a soda can with pennies taped inside and shake it at him, also saying "NO!" Keep your playtimes with your cat low-key as well. A friend used one of those pole toys and whipped it around like a helicopter. Then he wondered why his cat was so over-exicted he'd bite if he was touched for a half-hour afterwards.

Kazu

I agree with Izadore. If your cat is not fixed, do that first. How old is your cat. If it is a kitten, it may still be learning manners and you need to make sure you teach it the correct ones. It may also just be getting overexcited and/or stressed. Watch its body language. Are its ears laid back like it is angry? Are its eyes dilated and its butt wiggling like it is simply excited and playful? Either way, make sure you say NO very loudly and firmly. Sometimes when Kazu gets too hyper, we put him in his room for a little while so he can just calm down.

Kazu answered on 1/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Calísta

Are you using a loud voice when playing with your nephew? If so your cat may be "peace-keeping." My girl will nip anyone, human or feline, who seems upset. When she started it, it was a little frustrating, but now it is quite endearing. I just know that if I raise my voice or the tone of my voice she will try to remind me to stay calm. I will say she doesn't bite hard though... it's just a reminder.

Calísta answered on 1/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer