honeysuckle

all 3 of my male cats are neutered, the oldest one had already been sexually active, the other were around 3 mos when

they were neutered so they had never had sex i now have an 8 mo old female who is in heat, the oldest male tried mounting her which somewhat made sense but one of my younger boys (they are 5 and 7 yrs) also was caught trying to mount her??? i don't get it??

Asked by honeysuckle on Dec 2nd 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I've heard that even neutered males will mount a female in heat and I believe that breeders use them to calm the females down when they don't want the females to get pregnant, but the females want to mate. However, mounting behavior is also a sign of dominance on the part of the cat who's doing the mounting. Your best bet is to have the female spayed as soon as you can. Although this isn't exactly something you want going on in the middle of a group of guests at a dinner party, it is natural behavior on the cats' part.