after being neutered, do i have to finish my cats painkiller (buprenorphine) prescription if he seems to be in no pain?

my cat was neutered 2 days ago. the vet prescribed 6 doses of the painkiller and he has 2 doses left. he does not seem to be in pain and no longer seems high from the drugs anymore. i don't want to give him anymore medication if it's not necessary, please help!! thank you.

Asked by Member 1065049 on Oct 20th 2011 Tagged cat, painkiller, buprenorphine, prescription in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Cats really hide pain well so you never know for sure. But I know how you feel. I was so nervous about pumping my girls full of pain killers when they were spayed. My old vet didn't even give them so it kinda threw me when the new vet did. But I would call your vet to ask that question before you make that decision on your own. They are always happy to answer follow up questions after surgery.

Tinkerbell & Jellybean

my vet gave our cats a painkiller shot so we wouldn't have to worry about giving them pills i would finish out the doses just to make sure your cat is not in anymore pain and so you dont have any pills hanging around that you dont need any longer

Tinkerbell & Jellybean answered on 10/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Little Hollers

i agree with the answerer below, that cats do hide pain- very well, it is their instinct to do to. but think on this also- if your cat is not feeling painful, he might overdo it.. sometimes the pain killer makes them rest also so they can heal and recuperate. I would continute the dose the vet prescribed, to make sure your baby rests and does not over do it too soon. <3

Little Hollers answered on 10/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi,

I think that giving the full dosage is a good idea, the vet gave it for a reason. Look at this way, it's only 6 doses over 6 days, there no real risk of behavioural or other changes. After our baby's emergency pyometra surgery we gave her the 5 doses of painkiller that were prescribed. It helped her rest which has helped her recuperation immensely. She also had to take two doses of antibiotics a day for 10 days which was also very important.