abandoned 4 week feral kitten anemic, lethargic and underweight and vet suggests livoferol. looking for some answers.

Hi.. I have a 4 week old feral kitten, which i rescued 6 days back. she was severely underweight but was active and demanded milk.. I started her on home made KMR( milk solids, egg yolk and pet multivitamin). after 2 days her appetite began to diminish, and she began showing signs of lethargy, her stools were ok. I took her to a vet, he examined her and dewormed her, after deworming she became extremely sleepy and stopped asking for milk altogether.. i started feeding her with syringe in every 2 hours(which she ate unwillingly, only 6 ml per feed) I also made sure to give her water in between feeds to prevent dehydration. now for last two days she sleeps 95% of the day,she looks anemic(white gums, nose and paws), stools are of toothpaste consistency but today there was blood covered in them,looks weak and feels bony, I again contacted the vet, he advised livoferol. Did anybody else faced similar experience? if yes what did u do to improve your feline's condition?

Asked by Member 1132968 on Sep 27th 2012 Tagged week, kitten, anemic, lethargic in Health & Safety

Answers

Your kitten appears to be very ill and needs immediate if not emergency veterinary care. If she wasn't tested for FelV, FIP, or FeLeuk and thoroughly examined by the vet, you need to find another vet for a definitive diagnoses and prognosis. Dairy of any kind is not beneficial to a cat. Cow's milk or it's derivative can cause diarrhea and gastrointestinal upsets. KMR is designed to replicate cat mother's milk and is the most agreeable for abandoned kittens. Please be aware that, even though it sounds cruel, mother cats have a 6th sense about their babies and if one has little chance of survival, somehow they know it and rather than continue to nurse it, they will move the others and leave it to die. This happened to a kitten my daughter rescued. Lucy only lived a year and suffered from FIP. I wish you success with this little one. I hope it all works out for you and her.

Emma

Why do you question your vet's advice? Do you not trust your vet? Do you think the treatment is too expensive or inconvenient?
Why are you asking a bunch of anonymous strangers their opinions about your very obviously sick cat? Just because this site is for real people who own real cats, it doesn't mean that anyone here knows more than a trained doctor who has met your pet.

Emma answered on 9/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer