A stray cat had 4 kittens behind my barn, been feeding them for 3 weeks, all of a sudden they are gone. What happened?

The mother hisses at us sometimes but always eats the food we give her. She will come within 3 feet of us. She has been bringing her own food to the kittens (other small animals). We got a used dog igloo that a friend used for her outside cats, we cleaned it and placed it by where they were, within 2 days they were gone. Not sure how old the kittens are, they were eating wet food and starting to eat dry food, very active and playful. Their home was under a woodpile behind the barn and under the roof. Located about 20 feet from a small crick. There are groundhawgs and small water snakes. I see no sign of a fight, no fur, no blood anywhere. I am thinking the mother may have moved them?

Asked by Member 1177543 on Jun 29th 2013 Tagged straycat, kittens, outside in Other Kittens

Answers

Definitely. At six weeks, she has to take the kids into the woods/prairie and teach them how to hunt. They may be long gone or nearby. You can do a good deed with TNR (trap, neuter and release) if there are any low-cost clinics or programs in your area. ^_^