A groomer told me that shaving my cat would, over time, permanently change the texture of his coat. Is this true?

A groomer told me that shaving my cat (giving him a “lion cut”) would, over time, permanently change the texture of his coat. Is this true?

I have a four-year-old longhair mixed breed cat. Last April, I had him get a "lion cut". The hair grew in normally. A couple days ago I spoke with another groomer about getting it done again. She told me that having a cat shaved would permanently change the coat texture to the point that the coat would be unmanageable if not kept clipped at all times. I am now torn--he seemed to enjoy the cut (and it made grooming and bathing really easy) but I don't know if I want to do something to him that will permanently change his coat and make it so that he can never go un-shorn again. Please help.

Asked by Member 788984 on Jan 8th 2009 Tagged lioncut, coat, longhair in Professional Grooming

Answers

Delilah

I wouldn't doubt what the groomer says. After all, this is their business. I can only compare it to my son, a swimmer, who spent 90% of the year with a shaved head. His hair has grown back in thicker and more coarse, but it could also be because he's older now. I had Delilah groomed last summer. I expected the groomer to shave her since she was so badly matted. However, the groomer was very thorough in clipping all the mats. She bathed her and used a heavy conditioner on her. She also showed me how to brush her at home including what sort of brush to use. I haven't had any problems with her fur since. Even her dandruff cleared up. You may want to ask your groomer if she could use the same procedure on your kitty.

Delilah answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer