A cat pretty much adopted me and lives on my balcony. Got any ideas on what to do with it?

There is this cat who has adopted me and boyfriend and now lives on my balcony. I didnt interact with it or nothing i walked on my balcony and it started rubbing against me purring. I have tried ingoring it but it work and now it lives on my balcony. It is a very sweet cat. it even waits for to come outside and tries to follow me back in. What should i do?

Asked by Member 979470 on Apr 25th 2010 Tagged outsidecat in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

First you need to determine if this kitty has an owner. Does he have a collar and tags? If not, see if your vet or a shelter will scan him for a microchip. If he has no collar/tags or microchip, I would put an ad in the paper in case he is lost. If there is no owner, you need to decide if you would like to keep him or see if you can find him a new home. You could try finding him a new home yourself, or look for a no-kill shelter/rescue if you cannot keep him. You could also make him a page on Catster and post him as adoptable. You can put an ad in the paper, and on petfinder.com. Be very careful if you re-home him. Ask lots of questions, get references, and do ask for a small adoption fee. Free cats can meet horrific fates in a research lab or as dog-fighting bait. Good luck!

Unfortunately, it sounds as though this cat has been abandoned by its (negligent) owner. They say that "cats pick their owners". Well, guess what? I think this kitty has adopted you and obviously seems to like you. I would take it to a vet and find out if he/she is fixed. They can tell right away if a male has been neutered. They can also scan the cat for a microchip to determine who owns it. Put some posters up and see if anyone responds. You could try advertising on Craig's List lost and found section. However, you may have some wierdos respond. Tell them to give you a description (any unusual markings) of the cat. Don't give them too much information. Ask if they have a picture they can present to you to prove ownership of the cat. If all fails to find the owner, please don't ignore it. You will have to make a decision: Do you want to keep the cat? If so, great! If not, please see to it that you can either find it a home or take it to a no-kill shelter. Good luck!