I just adopted two kittens and was so excited to get them home, however, they avoid me like the plaque. Suggestions?

Asked by Member 1140260 on Nov 11th 2012 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I'm sorry. I know your feelings must be hurt by their attitudes toward you. When I first adopted Izzie, he didn't want anything to do with me, either. It took about 2 months of working with him, playing with him, patience and kindness before he decided I was "OK". Now, he's a lap cat. I never tried to force him to do anything he didn't want. I didn't try to pick him up, pet him or even talk to him unless he looked interested in what I had to say. If he came into the room I was in, I pretty much ignored him after saying "Hi, Iz!". But when he showed interest in what I was doing, I treated him with gentleness, a soft voice and his favorite toy. I would suggest that if you haven't had your babies to the vet yet, you do take them in. Even if they were vetted before you got them, it's always a good idea to establish yourself with your own vet. They have much useful information on how to "domesticate" your kittens. Good luck, and don't take it personally. It just takes time!