Tigger

How to treat a cat with dry skin?

Hi.
One of my cats seems to have very dry skin. I'll explain the situation, it took a while to figure out what the issue was.
He is 10 years old and I have had him for just under a year.
At first I thought he just didn't like being touched but later found that he is actually very affectionate as long as you don't touch his back.
He is short haired and seems to have very dry skin. He sheds a lot of fur(though still have a very full coat) and does not like his back/tail area to be touched. He will angrily meow or try to bite if you do. Though he loves you to scratch his face and neck.
He also has a few skin coloured moles but the vet said they were benign.
He hates being brushed. I have tried many different kinds but he doesn't like any of them touching his back so it is very difficult to brush off lose hair.
He is indoor (and it is not flees as the other cat is fine)
I feed him Science Diet Mature Adult Indoor.
What can I do to help my little buddy? : (
Thanks

Asked by Tigger on Feb 13th 2013 Tagged male, skin, sensitive, shedding, coat in Skin Problems

Answers

Lucy Liu

Some cats are more allergic to fleas than other cats. Your cat with dry skin may be very sensitive to fleas, your other cat may not be that sensitive. In a sensitive cat it takes only one flea bite to start the allergic itch-scratch tear out hair cycle. A cat with flea allergy typically has hair loss on the back, down the backsides of the rear legs and ssmall sore spots on the neck behind the ears from scratching. Ear mites can cause a cat to scratch its ears and neck too.
There are other allergies that can cause problems such as you describe. You should have your cat examined by a vet because there are number of medical problems that among other problems, can cause skin and coat problems. Some thyroid problems, for example, can cause abnormal shedding.

Lucy Liu answered on 2/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I strongly recommend getting him off Science Diet and onto a wet food-only diet. Canned food is much healthier for cats - higher in protein, lower in carbs, provides much-needed moisture, and fills them up better than dry. If you do this, you will find that his dry skin and flaking will disappear, he will shed far less, and won't throw up. I've seen this happen with my own overweight kitty who ate only dry food for years. She's lost 3 pounds, her fur is soft and shiny, her dandruff is gone, and the house is much cleaner.

Nika

You might try using PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. I have used it on my dogs and love it; I know they make a cat version. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/dander/etc. I use it for everything! You can spray it all over his body and any area that is red or irritated from scratching or is dry and flaky. Rub down into his fur. I find it to work really well! I hope this helps.

Nika answered on 2/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer