9 yr old cats furr is blood stained from her saliva always washing untill soaking wet, drools always, does not eat right

Asked by Member 869365 on Aug 20th 2009 in Illness & Disease

Answers

I don't know why she is grooming so much but the drooling, bloody saliva and not eating sounds like she may have some serious infections going on in her mouth. I would take her to the vet to have her teeth and gums checked. It may be as simple to cure it as some antibiotics or she may need a teeth cleaning under anesthesia depending on how bad it is. In the mean time please be sure to feed her only canned ground or pate style food that she can eat easily without having to chew on her sore mouth.

Allie is right. I had a Hurricane Katrina rescued cat, Hope, who had major dental issues. Unfortunately, by the time she was rescued and adopted and the dental disease was discovered, it was too late. It had eaten it's way into the bone of her jaw. Her system was so poisoned by the infection that she was weakened and died under anesthesia. Please take your kitty to the vet's as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the less his chances for recovery are.