Calypso

2yr old cat losing weight, chances of hyperthyroidism?

2yr old calico, former picky eater, has developed a huge appertite yet is losing weight. Last month her eye was bleeding and we thought another kitten we got scratched her so I cleaned it and kept an eye on it. Eventually it got worse and her throat got a lump so she went to the vet and was given antibiotics. She recovered however recently she has lost a lot of weight despite her appetite (and I feed her every time she asks)... I'm worried the lump has something to do with this and she might have a thyroid problem.

I AM planning on taking her to the vet, however I have my own medical problems and I'm unemployed so I'm trying to get the money together, if you wish to help, see her page on here.

anyway, has anoyone on here had this young of a cat with hyperthyroidism? Advice?

Asked by Calypso on Jan 17th 2014 Tagged skinny, weightloss, thyroid, hyperthyroid, hyperthyroidism in Health & Wellness

Answers

I have only had older cats develop this, and it is NOT incredibly expensive to treat. It costs $18 for 50 days of pills and $46 for the thyroid blood test 3x a year. If your vet does not have the machine in-house, the test can cost up to 2x as much if they have to send out for the results. My vet bought the machine so my prices went down after that... bigger vets in your area might have one, and the only way you will know is if your cat is DIAGNOSED!! There is no substitute for vet care in your kitty's life!! ^_^

Panda Bear answered 2 weeks, 4 days ago. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer