2 years ago, I got Ethel, who is now a 9 year old indoor cat. She was one of a pair but her sister died a year ago.

She is very timid but I can now pick her up 2x a day for some TLC which we both enjoy. What age and type of companion, timid too, older or younger, M or F, should I look for her. Thank you. JK

Asked by Member 897579 on Oct 6th 2009 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

It's not so much the sex or age of the kitty you add to your family, but consideration of Ethel. 9 yrs. old isn't ancient for a cat, but she's getting up there. I wouldn't get a kitten for a few reasons. If Ethel is a timid cat, a highly-charged, energetic kitten will probably scare the heck out of her and send her into hiding. In addition, kittens take a lot of socialization and investment of time. Ethel may get jealous and you'll backslide on the progress you've made. Your best bet would be to go to a reputable shelter or rescue who fosters in their own homes. Look around. Are the cages clean? Cats look happy? Staff is friendly and helpful? Go prepared with a total background of your kitty, your home life, what you are looking for in a new cat, etc. Be honest with yourself and the shelter people. Don't adopt a cat b/c you feel sorry for it. You and the staff need to match the personalities of Ethel and the new cat or your adoption won't succeed. Ask for intro pointers. Good luck!

Jingo

Izzie's got good advice. If you go to a local SPCA/rescue that has cats in group rooms (several cats sharing a room) the volunteers should be able to help you find an older mellow cat that would be a good match for Ethel. I wouldn't worry too much about the sex of the cat as long as they've been fixed when they were young. A mature adult cat 3+ years old who is very mellow and friendly with other cats but not pushy/a little on the shy side is probably a good match for Ethel.

You'll need to take it slow with the introductions and set up another room for the new cat with litter box and food/water while you do supervised introductions. The shelter/rescue can give you more advice and it may take a few weeks for Ethel to accept the new cat.

Jingo answered on 10/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer