20 Years old cat not eating but drinks lots of water and sleeps alot in the past few days

First of all, I am glad I found this website. I have read many posts regarding the conditions of my 20 years old cat is experiencing. I will bring her to an Emergency Vet tomorrow morning and see what my optons are.
My cat Mimi hasn't really been eating for the past 3 days. She drinks constantly and does not want to use the litter box. She has been doing her business in a corner of my bedroom. Everyday I would find a pile. When she walks, she would walk few steps and then rest. I have not seen her like this at all.

Asked by Member 807153 on Feb 21st 2009 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Minxy (1987-2008)

Given her age and symptoms it sounds like she either has diabetes or kidney disease, either of which could have been made suddenly worse by an infection.

If possible you should try to get her to the emergency vet tonight as a few hours may may a big difference. They'll be able to check her blood sugar and kidney values in the office and do a physical exam to figure out what's wrong and see if they can treat her.

With older cats they often have lost some kidney fuction but are OK until they get a urinary tract infection that knocks them for six. If this is what's happened the vet can treat the infection with antibiotics and give her fluids and anti nausea appetite meds until she recovers.

Its really important that she eats as in cats not eating can cause a serious issue with their liver that can be life threatening. The vet may need to give her meds to help her eat and can show you how to hand feed her if necessary while she recovers.

Good luck with your cat

Minxy (1987-2008) answered on 2/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Yes, get kitty to the vet ASAP. She has something going on that needs medical attention. It could be anything. It could be as simple as a UTI that needs antibiotics, or something more serious like kidney disease. Taking into consideration your cat's age, I would bet on the kidney disease. If she had diabetes, she would be eating more, not less. In any event, have the vet do some senior blood profile work and take it from there. Good luck, and hope your kitty recuperates.

How's your Kitty? I want to know because I also have a 20 year old Siamese . He has kidney problem and not eating too.

Thank you.

Josie