1 year old female cat won't eat after I brought my new kitten home, should I be worried?

I have a one year old female cat that I have had since she was 6 weeks old. We got a new 6 week old male kitten on Tuesday.

My cat reacted they way I thought she would. She hissed and growled and batted when he got too close but her ears were never down and her tail never got puffy, and she even started to play with him a little by the end of the night. We fed them at the same time that night and they both ate normally. We keep them separated at night and when we are not home so they both have plenty alone time.

Its Thursday my cat has gotten more annoyed with the kitten. When he comes close she she gets really rough with him. Now she won't eat anything, and I'm really worried she has gotten sick from being so nervous about the kitten. I tried to get her to eat her favorite tuna and she won't even go near it.

Will she get hungry enough and start to eat or will I have to take her to the vet? I don't really have $ to take her to the vet now.

Asked by Member 1178431 on Jul 4th 2013 Tagged cat, kitten, food, new, social, hungry, noteating in Socialization

Answers

Your cat may be eating when you are not around. Make sure that she's getting her favorite foods, and separately from the kitten. If the kitten eats her food, she might not want to touch it. Do you use canned to supplement her diet? Try MaxCat adult cans in turkey & giblets, oceanfish or chicken & liver- my cats love them. Make sure that the kitten is separated from her when she is eating so that she doesn't get annoyed and walk away. Yes, she is annoyed, but she should be okay. If you are certain that she has not eaten or drank anything for two days, it's vet time (charge it!) ^_^