Guest

1 Year old Cat is looking fragile and wont eat or drink after flea medice was applied.

My mother applied flea medicine on my Cat that is less than a year old and he licked some of it off. After this he hasnt been eating or driking anything and he has shallow breathing and looks fragile. He hides under the bed any chance he gets and that is something he usually doesnt do. He has vomited and I have washed the medice from his fur but he still coughs a little.


Asked by Member 1029131 on Apr 2nd 2011 in Other Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

gracie tatanka

you need to check the medicine your mom used it sounds like it might have been one for dogs in which case it can be toxic for cats if this is the case or not you need to get your cat to the vets very quickly so the vet can assess him before he gets any sicker please do this as soon as possible good luck


gracie tatanka answered on 4/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Chibi

It sounds like he's had a bad reaction (probably poisoning) and should go to the vet ASAP, especially since he's not eating or drinking, his breathing is shallow, and he "looks fragile." Those are not good signs. If you don't want to lose him, go to the vet NOW. Flead meds like Advantage are applied between the shoulder blades so the cat can't lick off the medicine, which is strong stuff. Next time, go to your vet for flea management advice and meds. I myself (the human) had a bad reaction to the flea medicine on one of my cats. Good luck to you and your little fellow.


Chibi answered on 4/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Twinkle

He shouldn't be able to lick it off if it applied where it's supposed to be which is between the shoulder blades. You need to see what flea medicine your mom applied & ask her how she applied it. She might have given him flea medicine for dogs or flea medication for a higher weight than this cat is. You must give flea medication by the cat's weight & only give a cat flea medication that is made for a cat. Please take this cat to the vet.


Twinkle answered on 4/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

I know I'm late to answer you but when I apply flea and heartworm meds, my kittens immediately get to licking each other and themselves. The reaction you've described has never happened with the type I've used -- it's called Revolution. If your mother used this, I seriously doubt it is what's poisoned your cat but his condition sounds like it needs immediate vet care. Good Luck and in the future please consider using Revolution if you can.


Member 1017380 answered on 4/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

I hope you cat was O.K. You did the right thing by washing the medicine off. All flea treatments can be toxic, read the side effects. Revolution enters the blood stream and can not be washed off. My cat died after the vet applied Revolution to her. She was sick and we thought she had ear mites. No flea treatment should ever be applied to a pet that is not feeling well.


Member 1031920 answered on 4/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer