17 yr old kitty in need of help that i can't seem to find, please help.
my second oldest cat is 17 yrs old and has lived as an indoor and outdoor. over the past 2 weeks there has been a severe decline in her health. i come home last night and shes laying in the bathtub in her own wee. i got he up and out and bathed her and wrapped her up to keep her warm. she won't touch wet or dry food or any type of formula, but i can give her dropperfuls of water and she soaks it up. she tried to walk to the water dish last night in the kitchen and walked down the hall in what was basically a drunken stuper. shes been healthy her whole life and now shes almost in a coma. this morning same thing, laying in her own wee, didn't touch food but she took the water i gave her. any idea? all my other cats have been exposed or around everything she has and nobody else is displaying anything. please any input would be greatly appreciated. if she makes the day i'll be shocked.
- Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!
Call the vet. There is nothing you can do for her. She is dying and needs immediate help.
Allie answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? / 0
Please remember that we are not vets here. We cannot and should not diagnose and suggest treatment for a cat we don't know and have never seen. Even if our own cats have suffered similar ailments, there is no way of knowing if your cat has the same thing. We are just cat-lovers here and I know we all sympathize with your situation. But there is no miracle cure. It's possible she has reached the end of her life because of her age. It's also possible that she was poisoned by something outdoors. There are a million reasons she could be acting like this, and the only one who can pinpoint what's wrong is a vet. If she is still here, please don't let her suffer. Take her to a vet.
Izadore (Izzie) answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? / 0
Why has she not seen a vet yet? I wouldn't have let this go on two days in a row, your kitty is now dehydrated and has not eaten. That will account for the drunken stupor.
Cats who stop eating quickly become anorexic, and might need subcutaneous fluids and nutrients to get them healthy again. She needs to see a vet this morning, no question.
Worst case scenario, if there is something the vet cannot help her with, they can at least euthanize her humanely so that her last moments will not be spent suffering.
Gracie answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? / 0
Your kitty is very sick and needs to see the vet ASAP.
We are purring like crazy for you!
Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? / 0
As the others say you need to get her to a vet immediately and she'll die if you don't. She may just have a urinary tract infection (UTI) which can hit older cats hard and give them the symptoms you are seeing. She's almost certainly now dehydrated, will be on the brink of liver failure from not eating and may be going into kidney failure. Get her to a vet for assessment and hopefully there's still time to treat her with antibiotics, fluids and hand feeding.
Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? / 1
Aw, poor Pockets. At the same time--you let a geriatric cat be that sick for two weeks without going to the vet? I've seen cat death severeal times, and it sounds like your kitty has only a day or two to live. Take her to the vet!!! We love cats here, but are not professionals. Take her to the vet!!!
Lola answered on 6/10/09. Helpful? / 0