Austin Valentino loving memory

16 Year old Cat developed a heart murmur and I don't know what that means as far as his longevity can anyone shed light?

Hi, Austin here....Okay I am 16 years old and have been a diabetic for 5 years now...insulin twice daily yuk! Today I found out that i have developed an heart murmur and the vet suggested a complete blood work-up but my" pawrents" are a little low on cash as it is nearly $400....should they just wait it out or is this life threatening?
I have lost nearly 3 lbs in the past year -I was 15 lbs. and now I am 12lbs.....other then being a bit thin I LOVE to eat and go outside to sit on my very own lounge chair and take walks in the evening with my "pawrents" .....I do just about everything that I did before so can anyone shed light on my situation? Thank you.

Asked by Austin Valentino loving memory on Jun 5th 2013 in Diabetes

Answers

Nicholas

Unfortunately heart murmurs are very unpredictable. Cats can live a very long life with a heart murmur or it can take them quickly. I lost my cat due to this issue. The vet was not overly concerned and we were going to wait a few months and check it again. He was playing one night and just dropped and he was gone-everything else about him was healthy. In retrospect, I would have done more quickly to try and keep him longer but you just never know. There are meds that can help but not a guarantee. I would pay anything now to have my Jessie back.Good luck with any decision you make!:)

Nicholas answered on 6/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Nicholas is right. Older cats, like older people, need extra care and monitoring by their vets. Maybe you could work out a payment plan with Austin's vet and get the tests done anyway. If he's been a patient of this vet for a long time, they should allow you to make payments. Mine does. We send purrs and headbonks to Mr. Austin!

Hi, my human mom had a heart murmur, and three weeks later she was in the ICU for emergency heart surgery. When they say that heart disease is the #1 killer of women, they're not kidding!! Some people and animals can live indefinitely with a murmur (like me, Panda) and for some it is life threatening. At your advanced age Austin, you cannot be put under for surgery, so I would suggest that your parents do a heart scan to see how bad your murmur is. ^_^