Tetley T. Sperry

14 week old kitten and older cat look like they might be play fighting but he (kitten) goes for her (older cat) throat

Often times she'll overpower him and throw him on his back and bite his neck. But occasionally while he's biting her she'll start licking him. We can't tell if this is bad or normal behaviour. At the moment if he goes for her throat we spray him with the water bottle but we're not sure if maybe we should just let them be. Help?

Asked by Tetley T. Sperry on Nov 12th 2012 Tagged neckbiting, kitten, cat, play in Socialization

Answers

When I volunteered with a cat rescue, our director always told us that the older cat will "correct" the younger one, and I think that's what's happening. The female will not allow herself to be dominated by the "young upstart". If there is no yeowling, fur flying and/or blood letting, then they are just playing and the female is letting Jr. know just how far he can go with her. Do not correct either one, let Big Sis take care of it. Don't spray Jr. because you're probably also spraying Big Sis and she's done nothing wrong. Just keep an eye on the "festivities" and pull rank only if you need to.

Alexander, Dreamboat #110

Leave them alone. I was nervous too until I watched how the little kitten would attack our older cat. My nine year old male cat would allow this kitten attack him. Then, in the middle, the two of them would groom each other. Now, we know that the wrestling is just part of their game plan. Don't bother with the water and make no noises while the two of them jump at each other. If you hear hisses, then, it isn't play time. What you are seeing is very normal. Enjoy the show..Mine are grooming as much as they wrestle..

Alexander, Dreamboat #110 answered on 11/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Don't spray them. This is the dominant cat setting the rules of the house. Biting the neck is how Momma would teach her young. Also the licking is a dominant behavior. This is normal.